Saturday, August 10, 2013

Selamat Hari Raya!

Selamat Hari Raya, maaf zahir dan batin! This year, Hari Raya starts on the 8th of August and our August school holidays has already started by then. We have a 2-week holiday from the 3th till the 18th. And before this, the Muslims have to puasa (fast) for a whole month. Their kind of fasting is not being able to drink and/or eat for the whole day from about 5 or 6am to about 7pm... I think... I'm not sure. I have a few non-Muslim friends who fast with our Muslim friends, but I really have no idea how they can take it. Because I can die when I'm deprived of food after 3 to 4 hours. I seriously get hungry after 3 to 4 hours after the previous meal. I can't absolutely ever miss my tea break or my recess time in school. Oh, and I don't like having brunch because it just messes up my feeding time. Yeap. I use the term feeding time because I just went to the zoo yesterday! :D Like after brunch (the meal you take between breakfast and lunch), what time do you eat next? Because brunch is around 11, and plus 4 hours would be 3pm and my dinner time is usually 5 or 6 o'clock. Gahhhhh I hate brunches! Do not ever bring me out for brunch! Or a late breakfast even!

Now back to the story! Fasting for the Muslim also means refraining from smoking and other bad things like swearing and saying hurtful things. The fasting month is not quite a bad month for us, non-Muslims aside from having to try to be a little discreet about eating and drinking in class.
a. Jadual bulan puasa (Fasting month timetable) says school ends earlier! :D 
b. Being able to cheekly say we puasa, that's why we didn't do whatever our teachers asks of us
c. The school canteen is less crowded with people
d. Pasar Ramadan!!! That means more food food fooodddddd :DDDDDD

So after fasting for a month, the Muslims celebrate Hari Raya Aidilfitri. I think that's the new year according to the Muslim calender. The tradition in Malaysia is having rumah terbuka or open house. Hosts will serve traditional food like rendang, ketupat and ayam masak merah and lots of other yummy cookies.

I was invited to my Malay friends' houses and the food was sooooo good! I got greedy and ate so much that I had diarrhea at 3am the next day. Wtf

This is Eng Soon with some rendang and ketupat

Clockwise from left to right : Me, Anson, Eng Soon, Edwin, Wun Yong, Wai Ming

First stop is Amirul's house. The guy in blue, posing #likeaboss

It turns out that I was the only girl because the rest couldn't make it. One went holidaying in Thailand, one was busy with church activities and another one was back in her home in Kuala Selangor.

Second stop is Zul's house. The guy in yellow

Serious pose. Who has the most serious look? I think we all failed la. Hahahah

Kami dapat duit raya! Hahahahahaha

Adik-adik sekalian, inilah rupa orang yang dapat duit raya buat kali pertama

Tengoklah makluk ini. Senyum tak habis-habis

Hi. This is me in the tradisional Malay clothings, the baju kurung. 
Cantik kan? Baju tu lah. Bukan saya

Covered my face because all the guys are looking at me. Damn shy lah. All eyes on you. Selamat Hari Raya again everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment