Monday, March 31, 2014

Oh Christmas tree~ oh Christmas tree

Soooooo.... This is an incredibly outdated post. I finally finished making my 3D origami Christmas tree... 2 weeks after the holiday. And I am only posting about this now. Procrastination at it's best wtf. 

 This is mah final product and yes, I'm aware that my tree is slanted

Today imma show you how to make this Christmas tree. For ummm. The coming Christmas. In ermmm. 8 months. [Caution : This is no 5 minute arts and craft shit. Requires lots of planning, time and paper plus effort. Not for the faint-hearted]

First, start off with an A4 colour paper. Fold the paper so that you get 32 rectangle pieces. And cut them nicely. I use a blade/penknife because it's faster and it cuts nicely so you get crisp edges.

This amazingly good picture is self explanatory right? If not, scroll down slowwwlyyy to read what it means

 Start with one piece of the 32 rectangles you got from an A4 paper

 Fold into half lengthwise

 Fold into half sideways

 Open it up
 
 Fold towards the centre

 Fold the other side as well

 Turn it over
 
 Fold the outer top corners inwards as shown

 Fold the top flaps down and you will get something like this which looks like a triangle

 Fold the triangle in the middle to get a smaller triangle

And voila! You're done
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Now you just have to make a few more hundred pieces or so...

Stacking them up into pieces of 10 makes it easier to count ;D


Yeah, and so basically, you just fit the pieces together referring to the diagram
Picture credits : Stolen from the website as shown
[NOTE : Green pieces counted there is wrong. You'll need more pieces than 711]

Stacking the pieces together [18 below, 18 on top for the first layer]

Fit the number of pieces accordingly, and then I used hot glue gun

Stick the base (brown or in my case, peach) on the tree (green parts wtf)

How it looks; aerial view of my incomplete tree


4 layers tall


TADAHHHHH!!! My naked Christmas tree

Decorating my 3D origami Christmas tree :D it's as fun as doing the real thing

String of lights : Tie knots on a long string of yarn

Ornaments (balls) : Tin foil/ aluminium foil crumpled and made into a ball

Candy canes : 2 tube cleaners (I used red and white for the traditional candy can)

*I hung the balls and candy canes using a transparent string, tied and stuck in between the "leaves"

Star : I used what I had at home, a glow in the dark star. So yes, my tree glows! Christmas magic! *sprinkle magic dust*

Origami omega star - Originally wanted this, after 3 trial and error, I gave up. I've wasted enough trees trying to make a star T_T

Here's the video if you want to challenge yourself and potentially embarassing me (and yourself)

My complete tree!!! *teary eyes* although I'm well aware that it's slanted a wee bit. Hey! No judging until you tried it on your own

From the bottom where you can see the base



BELATED MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!! :)

I'm sitting here wondering why it took me so long to blog about this *face palm the wall*

No comments:

Post a Comment